European Board of Medical Genetics
The EBMG was formed in June 2012 and became a legal entity in June 2014, a non-for profit association under Austrian law, registry number ZVR: 616719544.
The Role of the EBMG
The EBMG is set up to serve the needs of patients who use genetic services in Europe through ensuing good standards of practice in three professional groups:
- Clinical laboratory geneticists (CLGs)
- Genetic nurses and genetic counsellors
- Medical geneticists.
The original German Statutes are available here.
The English translation is to follow.
The Purpose of the EBMG
- The aim of the Society is the establishment of professional standards of education, training and practice in human and medical genetics and genetic counselling, by developing and administering systems of certification and/or re-certification for professionals working as specialists in genetic healthcare in Europe.
- The Society pursues exclusively and directly aims for public benefit. It is a non-profit educational and professional association. It has no commercial interest, nor is it bound to any industrial or commercial enterprise. The Society's funds and any profits may exclusively be used for purposes in compliance with the Statutes. No person may benefit from expenses alien to the purpose of the Society, or from disproportionately large remuneration.
- The EBMG is an independent body for the purposes of setting professional standards and operation of registration processes. To ensure the work of the EBMG remains current and informed by professional practice, the EBMG will be affiliated with the European Society of Human Genetics.
The members of the Society are divided into full members, supporting members, and honorary members.
- Full members are those who are professionals in the field of Human and Medical Genetics.
- Supporting members can be any natural person or legal entity. These are individuals, institutions, corporations or agencies, who have offered substantial financial administrative or in-kind assistance to the EBMG in support of their aims.
- Honorary members are persons who have promoted the cause of EBMG and/or its aims and objectives in an exceptional way.
Only full & honorary members will have a vote at the General Assembly.
The EBMG Executive Board
The members of the Executive Board are:
- Chair- Heather Skirton - United Kingdom
- Vice Chairs: Ulf Kristoffersson - Sweden, Thomas Liehr - Germany
- Secretary General: Domenico Coviello - Italy
- Deputy Sec General: Milena Paneque - Portugal
- Treasurer: Bert Bakker - The Netherlands
All members of the Board and Branches offer their services on an entirely voluntary basis and receive no payments for their work. We are grateful for their commitment to this work on behalf of the EBMG.
The Liaison Members nominated by the ESHG are:
- Feliciano Ramos - Spain
- Ana Carrio - Spain
- Inga Bjornevoll - Norway