The European Society
of Human Genetics

Do I need a visa?

Do I need a visa for France?

Important note

Visa applications take time. Participants requiring visa are recommended to apply at least 1-2 months prior to their planned departure to France.

French embassies and consulates-general are independent decision-making agencies for visas, sometimes after specific checks have been made with other Schengen countries. You cannot appeal against the rejection of a visa application, neither can the ESHG intervene on your behalf in case of a rejection or to speed up the procedure.


All foreign nationals need a visa to enter France except for those cases laid down by the law.

Who is exempt from a visa for short stays?

A short stay is a stay in the Schengen Area lasting less than 90 days or a succession of stays totalling less than 90 days in any period of 6 months.

For short stays, European regulations specify the list of countries whose nationals are exempt from visa requirement to enter the Schengen Area.

Exempt from visa requirement for France's territory in Europe are :

- citizens of the EU, the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Switzerland ;

- nationals of the following countries, whatever the reason for their stay: Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Bosnia*, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Israel, Macedonia*, Malaysia, Mauritius, Monaco, Montenegro*, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Serbia*, Seychelles, Taiwan (passport bearing identity card number), Uruguay ;
*bearers of biometric passports only

- nationals of the following countries: Australia, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, United States, Venezuela, bearers of passports of the Hong Kong special administrative region (People's Republic of China) and the Macau special administrative region (People's Republic of China). If you are gainfully employed, the exemption only applies if you can produce a work permit ;

- holders of a valid residence permit for France ;

- holders of a residence permit issued by a state applying the Schengen Agreements ;

- holders of certain travel documents issued by an EU Member State ;

- holders of a British National (Overseas) passport.

Special cases

Certain nationals remain subject to short-stay visa requirements in the following cases :

- nationals of the United States: journalists on assignment, scientists and artists in gainful employment in France.


Note: EU nationals are only required to produce evidence of their EU nationality and identity in order to be admitted to any EU member state. This evidence can take the form of a valid national passport or national identity card. Either is acceptable.

How to...

...get a visa for France.

See also the the FAQ page of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Invitation letters

If you do require a visa for your entry to France (please see the top of the page for more information), the congress office can issue letters of invitation. For security reasons, letters of invitation can only be sent to bona fide individuals who have registered for the 2013 conference. You can register here. A link to an application form for visa is given at the end of the conference registration form. You will be asked to indicate:

  • You full name (first name, middle initial, family name)
  • Date of birth
  • Passport number
  • Control number of your abstract (if applicable)


The ESHG cannot assume any liability regarding the complete- and correctness  of the information given on this page. Please contact your local French embassy for more information.

To top